Tuesday, September 30, 2008

To Prove a Point

I'll be the first to tell you I don't know anything about politics. I'm an un-educated man when it comes to political views, and to be honest, I could really care less. Before you start stereotyping me into a young rambunctious kid who doesn't care, let me tell you why I feel this way ...

I enjoy life. I'm not going to be that guy who gets up in the morning and thinks, "I hate my job, my family, or my life in general." I wake up thinking, " I can't wait for today to begin so I can go to work, hang out with my friends, and make out with my smoking hot girlfriend!! This is my life ... looking forward to spending time with the people I care about, doing things that are fun and worth while.

To me, news is everything that is bad in the world. If you don't believe me, let me ask you a question. Has there ever been a time you felt good about life after watching a news cast? If you answered yes ... you are one of those people who wake up in the morning thinking ... "I hate this world." There is never anything uplifting in the news ... hurricanes killing people and wrecking hundreds of thousands of lives, murderer's being set free, and politicians causing pandemonium in their countries. All of it so depressing. Unfortunatley, there aren't always water skiing squirrels to end news casts. That's why I don't watch the news or care about politics ... it makes me think ... "Is this world going to make it 10 more years?" That, my friend, is depressing. Which is why I just don't give it the time of day, there are better things to be doing.

With that said, I do believe the election process is important. I've never missed a vote since I've been old enough to do so and I've always been educated enough to make the proper choice. I do believe politics and politicians are important to our country. It creates order, which we need. No I don't block out the worlds problems ... I know all about the US and their horrific economy ... I've heard about George Bush and how terrible he is ... Yes, Barack Obama is awesome and John McCain is Old. I've seen Stephen Harper's creepy commercials, and shortly after, Jack Layton's anti-Harper ads. I know about all the natural disasters and the creeps in the world , and I read enough on the Internet to be educated on the whole oil situation. But that doesn't mean I need to know everything about politics. I think a lot of people are the same way I am.

This brings me to my point. This morning we had Shauna Feaguson in from the Chamber of Commerce. (sorry Shauna, I butchered your name .... bad!) She was talking to us about the People Awards Gala that the Chamber is putting on in October. I think its an awesome event. They'll be giving away an award for Citizen of the year and sharing some great feel good stories about certain people in the Southwest. I can think of a handful of nominees just off the top of my head for Citizen of the year and I know whoever wins it will be honored ... there are a lot of good people in Swift Current and the SW, and to win that prestigious award, would be a great achievement.

We were talking about the dignitaries that will be there ... Premier Brad Wall, local MP David L. Anderson, and Mayor Sandy Larson. The Honorable Dr. Gordon L. Barnhart, Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan will also be attending. Here's where the argument began.

I wasn't quite sure what the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan did, nor did I really care. Jon ended up getting on my back about that fact and said something along the lines of ... I was in the minority of people who didn't know who the Lieutenant Governor was or knew what he did.

I think that's a false statement. I really do believe there are more people who don't know about the Honorable Gordon L. Barnhart than do. Am I out of line saying that? I mean ... the guy is the Queens representative for Saskatchewan. What does the Queen have to convey to our province that is so important. From what I understand ... she stopped making the calls a long time ago!

Don't get me wrong, I respect the Queen and I beleive Mr. Barnhart deserves the title he has ... the man has done his fair share of work ... he has a PHD in History from the U of S, he's written many books on prairie history, and has 20 years experience as clerk of the Saskatchewan Legislature and 5 years as Clerk of the Canadian Senate. The Honorable Gordon L. Barnhart is a fitting title, and it's a big deal that he'll be at the Peoples Awards Gala.

The point I'm trying to make ... it's alright not to know who these people are. They aren't that influential in the lives of the working class family, and I believe if you asked 100 people on the street who the Lieutenant Governor is ... half might answer correctly... but I bet only a handful know what he does for our province.

I haven't run this by Keener yet ... but it could be interesting to see who actually knows about the Honorable Dr. Gordon L. Barnhart, Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan ... listen for it this week. I have a feeling I'm not alone in saying ... who?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Call Chance....I think your right.