Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Same Ol'

It never ceases to amaze me how predictable rock stars are. This morning I was trying to find some information on the new U2 album and stumbled upon a recent interview with The Edge ... Here's a bit of it ...





Opinion is currently divided as to whether the album will make a pre- or post-Christmas release. Anticipation couldn’t be higher, however, with mixer Steve Lillywhite having already proclaimed the record "their best yet."
"Trying to weave it all together into a coherent collection is the challenge," Edge admits. "But, yeah, it has the potential to be our best."




How incredibly predictable. I understand you have to sell your product to your fans by saying things like ... "Oh yeah its our best album yet!" or "it's some of the strongest songs we've ever written!" You might as well tell your fans what to do with their lives because by saying things like that ... your telling them what they should like.

One of these times it would be refreshing to read an article with a larger than life rocker talking about how the new album is what it is ... " It's no Joshua tree, but it's new, and we like it, so you might."

I remember when Lars Ulrich of Metallica was pumping up St. Anger before it came out ... now years later, he's admitted publicly that it wasn't really their best work! That is what I call refreshing ... don't lie to us ... we know when things suck!!

I have never been to an Elton John concert nor would I go even if I was given tickets ... which by the way are super expensive for playing three shows in our province in about two weeks!! But a friend of mine went to see him when he was in Edmonton and always tells a pretty good story about Sir Elton. Apparently half way through his show ... he flat out told the audience that they needed to play their new crappy music to promote the new album and if you needed to go to the bathroom or get a drink, now would be a good time!!! ... That actually made me like Elton John ... and I hate Elton John!

Anyway, U2's new album is supposedly called " New Line on the Horizon " and I've heard it may be out before Christmas ... or maybe not.

No comments: