Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Sound ...

It's a very fun time to be in radio on a rock station. The biggest bands in the world are putting out new albums and I'm an extremely happy little guy!! Metallica is getting ready to put out their new album "Death Magnetic" September 12th, AC/DC will put out their new album "Black Ice" October 20th and both of their singles are being played on the radio ... well thats a lie. Metallica's single is now on the radio, AC/DC will release theirs later on, but I had a a listen to it this morning and it is good!!


All of this brings me to a rant about two guys I know ... those two guys?















Ryan Switzer (the boss) ... and Jon Keen, the other half of the Breakfast Boys!!

Every time a new album comes out ... I get very excited, ask these two guys to come share my excitement, and what do they do? They stomp on it!!!!

"How do they do that Chance?" you might ask. Well, I load up the new song, crank it in eagle control, ask them to listen and eagerly wait their opinion of what I obviously already think is an awesome piece of work. They usually have this line for me after the song ends ... "It sounds like every other (insert band name here) song." It's at that moment that I just want to punch them in the face! I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE EVERY OTHER SONG!! THAT'S WHY ITS AWESOME!!

I don't want my favorite bands to sound different! I want them to sound the way they did when I fell in love with their music!! The point is, when the Foo Fighters put out a new album, I expect it to sound like the Foo Fighters. When Metallica puts out a new album, I expect them to sound like Metallica!! When AC/DC puts out a new album, I expect it to sound like AC/DC, and they never dissapoint!! There is a reason kids, teenagers, adults, grandpas, grandmas, and moms and dads all like the same band ... their sound is timeless! Its not about sounding different, its about staying true to your sound, and that's why those bands are larger than life!!

Next time I hear that line .... "It sounds like every other (insert band name here) song," ...

straight shot ... right to the baby maker.

No comments: