Thursday, February 5, 2009

Outdoor Hockey


I realize that most cities in Saskatchewan have outdoor rinks ... but are any as picturesque as the ones we have in Swift Current? I don't mean to be incredibly bold or anything, but I seriously think we have some of the best outdoor rink facilities you'll find in this province!! Just look at Riverdene! North Hill!! These rinks are both nestled in beautiful parts of the city, in a park, where there's tons of trees, and they all have indoor facilities to warm up or get ready in.


I've lived in a few cities that can have some pretty harsh winters .. Winnipeg .. Saskatoon ... and while living there, I did not see an outdoor rink that was as beautiful as the ones we have here. The rinks in those cities consist of a sheet of ice with junky boards, no indoor dressing rooms, crappy mesh, and no one tending to them!

I guess I just wanted to give props to Swift for our outdoor facilities .. they are top notch.

I'm talking about this because we have been hitting up the outdoor rinks like crazy lately .. and over the last week I have had some pretty good laughing sessions because of it.

The first came when Jon got hit in the face with a puck ... the event itself wasn't so funny (it was actually kind of serious there for a couple minutes) ... the funny part was the days after he got hit in the John Mellencamp. His schedule following the "puck to the face" was two Bronco games and a TV appearance calling the Saskpower Scotties for Sasktel Max! His cheek was huge!!!

The second funny moment was when Assistant Coach Tim Kehler joined us ... as we were playing a game of shinny a 20 something kid hopped on the ice with some pretty flashy skates to join in the game ... and Tim yelled out "Who's Federov playing for?" Ha Ha ... too good.


*********************

We were all up in arms this morning over a story I read in the Star Phoenix. SGI is thinking about putting a restriction on kids licenses if they get them in rural communities ... meaning they will be able to drive, just not in big cities. The only way to be granted permission to drive in the big cities would be to go get your license in those cities!! Ridiculous! Have they been in our downtown??? ... have they witnessed the handful of people a day driving the wrong way down a one way!!!???

Nine years ago when I took my drivers test ... it was in Moose jaw .. and I lost 50 + pts the first time around!! I can only imagine how many I would lose if I had to take that test in Swift with all the one ways and the highway 1 and 4 intersection!!

No comments: