Monday, November 2, 2009

Facebook Comments

This is going to be something I do more frequently .... posting random funny status/comments I find on Facebook.



The first edition of "Facebook Comments" is more on the serious side. Marissa Marten is a high school student from Hazlet who is a big fan of the Eagle and the "Breakfast Boys" Facebook Group. She posted this on our wall last week:

Marissa Martin: Can you guys talk about small school being shut down for no reason? You don't have to, but it would be nice to hear your guyses input on the subject

To be honest ... its a touchy subject that we've talked about on air before. It always garners the same response. Some people call in mad because we were talking about it, others phone in to plead for their schools, some just call our boss to say we're horrible DJ's because we think small town schools should get shut down ... which by the way is not the views of this morning show. Some people just hear what they want to hear, its called selective hearing. Anyway, I tried to answer her question the best I could on our Facebook Group "the Breakfast Boys".

Chance Duperreault: Marissa, we've talked about this before on the show and my opinion still has not changed.

To shut down a school in a small town is like pulling the plug on the community. I come from a very small community that had its school shut down in 1989 and it crippled our village. Sports teams disappeared, young couples vanished with their children, the few well respected teachers left (including my Dad) and it became a summer destination due to Lake Diefenbaker being 1 km away.

I don't agree with shutting down small town schools.

But with that said ... if a school is struggling to keep enrollment up, it's in the kids best interest to be offered the best opportunities which would come from a larger school that offers more class options, sports, and more teachers to help these kids learn.

I'm not saying thats whats going on in Hazlet because I really don't know enough about the schools situation. But I do know when they shut down our school (Riverhurst) .. while it crippled our small community, we as kids, benefited by having enough numbers in a larger school to field large sports teams ... plus we were offered different courses that we couldn't have taken in our small town.

Does it suck to see a small town die ... of course. Is it worth it to benefit our next generation ... I think so.

I hope it doesn't happen to Hazlet Marissa ... it sounds like you guys have a pretty neat little school with a very great staff.

No comments: