Thursday, December 18, 2008

Radio

I just got back from a short little vacation in Alberta. The Ms. and I drove out to Calgary and then down to Lethbridge for a couple days to visit family and friends. What a time to go on vacation ... we didn't fill up the car for more than 69.9 the whole trip and after driving close to 1500 kilometres ... we spent maybe 70 dollars on gas!!!

Anywho, I digress ... I realized something on our little expedition. You can now drive across the prairies listening only to rock!! Now that Medicine Hat has stepped up their game with Rock 105, you can drive from Winnipeg (power 97) to Regina (The Wolf) to Swift Current (The Eagle) to Med Hat (rock 105) to Calgary (Cjay ... or x92) !!! Its a very cool thing! I think it just shows how far radio has come. Three years ago a guy would lose the Wolf around Chaplin and have to put up with the crap the Eagle used to play ... then when that faded out .. My 96 would be the only FM station you could get ... and don't even get me started on that kind of music. Very cool to hear rock radio right across the board. No offence to what the Eagle used to be or what My 96 is .. its just not my kind of music.

I did notice something a little strange driving from Lethbridge to Med Hat though ... Rock 106 in Lethbridge (a Rodgers radio station) is playing the exact same music as Rock 105 in The Hat (also a Rodgers radio station). I'm not talking about rock n roll .. I'm talking about the exact same song at the exact same time of day. What I'm trying to say is both those Rodgers stations are using the same play list ... just using different DJ's and commercials. I was flipping back and forth as I got close to the Hat and sure enough ... exact same songs ... minutes apart from each other. I thought that was kind of weird for a big company like Rodgers who have radio stations all over the country. I mean ... Lethbridge and the Hat are so close ... why would they do that? It got me thinking ... does every Rodgers rock station use the exact same play list?

Some of the highlights of the trip ... the Lethbridge water tower!! Have you ever heard of it? Its the old town water tower that is now converted into a Restaurant/bar ... very cool!! .. but expensive! The Strathmore Station is also neat ... an old train station converted into a top notch restaurant! You can tell a guy is getting old when all he can talk about after a vacation is the food he ate.

****************

Check out the new poll ... its to get you in the Christmas spirit.

No comments: