Monday, March 16, 2009

St Patty's Day

St Patty's Day is tomorrow. I always get a little sad around this time because the day of the Irish gets absolutely no props .... not even a day off!! So this morning we thought the least we could do was adapt "Twas the Night Before Christmas" into a St Patty's day version.

Twas the Night Before St Patty's Day

Twas the night before St Patty's day .. and all through the house,
No one was stirring not even my Uncle, the Souse

The Green dye was placed on the table with care,
In Hopes the drinking would start before people got there

The men and woman were all snug in their beds
to get rested up for the next days events

When down in the kitchen arose such a clatter
I sprang from my bed to see what was a matter

When, what to my wandering eyes should appear
A little leprechaun drinking my beer

He was slightly old but lively and quick
I knew in a moment he was there for a quick nip

What to do I thought to myself
This Greedy little leprechaun is ram sacking my house

I grabbed up the phone and called my good friends
"Get over here now before the good times end!"

Within minutes a party had started in my kitchen
green dye and beer, fist fights, nothing was missing

I looked at the leprechaun, a right old jolly elf
and laughed at the site of him in spite of myself

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
I knew I had nothing to dread

He spoke not a word and went back to drinking
That crazy little leprechaun, who knew what he was thinking

and then he dashed from the house with a twinkle in his eye
a beer in his hand, and a glass of green dye

He sprang out the door and gave a lady a whistle
and a way he went like the down of a thistle

But I heard him exclaim as he ran out of sight
Happy St Patty's day and to all a good night

No comments: